Challenging and stretching the brain allows new connections to be created and maintained. The adult brain continuously adapts to relevant sensory stimuli, so activities which challenge all the senses will help maintain processing speed.
There are many activities that can challenge the brain – the bigger the range, the more you will stimulate your brain in different ways.
Again, it is important to choose activities that you enjoy to ensure that you will continue to do them regularly.
- Read, write, do a crossword or a jigsaw puzzle
- Play games
- Use your non-dominant hand for everyday activities like brushing your teeth
- Socialise with friends and engage in conversation
- Go to the theatre
- Get creative in the kitchen and cook new recipes
- Stay curious and involved – take up a new hobby or craft