Optimising gut health
The gut has many functions central to health including digestion, absorption, immunity, detoxification and elimination, however, many factors of modern living adversely affect gut health. There is an intrinsic link between gut health and brain health. Poor gut health increases inflammation and this is one of the features of many chronic health conditions, including cognitive decline. Plus, a huge percentage of serotonin (the feel-good hormone) is produced within the gut – any degree of digestive dysfunction will impair production.
The 5-R programme for supporting gut health
- Remove – remove factors that might trigger gut symptoms, such as specific foods
- Replace – add in nutrients and fibre to support gut health
- Re-inoculate– provide the gut with good bacteria
- Repair – specific nutrients can be used to support gut healing
- Re-balance– take a holistic look at your life as stress, sleep and exercise can all affect gut health